Tuesday 9 July 2013

We are wrong by OURSELVES

Point the fingers at your attitude.
A friend of mine requested of me to take still shots at his engagement. So I went. Well, the ceremony started 3 hours late, but I’ll leave that discussion for another day.
One beautiful usher was serving water to the guests and the sight of it reminded me of my own thirst. When this usher was done serving, there were 3 bottles of water left on the tray which she was sending back. I approached her and said, ‘Please, can I get some water?’

She responded with a beautiful smile, ‘ok, wait here. I am coming’. So I waited. After about two minutes, she returned and in her hand was a dangling Voltic sachet water. ‘Here’, she said. I took it, drank it and continued my job.


I worked for some more hours and decided to leave as I had other appointments. On my way out, I heard someone shouting, ‘madam, madam, madam, please wait!’. I stopped. This beautiful usher with a gift bag in her hand approached me and said, ‘oh madam, I am so so so sorry. I THOUGHT YOU WERE A PHOTOGRAPHER. Please, I have 2 BOTTLES of water and some goodies in here for you………..’

It is totally ridiculous for me to hear any black person in this 21st century blame OUR woes on whatever ‘colonial masters’. We are wrong by ourselves.


Credit: Edem Asamany
9th July 2013 

2 comments: